A Century of Caring
Jersey Shore Hospital began as a private hospital in the early 1900's, after four local physicians put their resources together to serve the community’s need for medical care. At this time in history, flu epidemics were the major threat to life and few communities had the resources to care for large numbers of sick and injured patients.
The Hospital was turned over to the community in 1922 and it later merged with the private Sanford Hospital, which allowed for the creation of a larger facility with greater capabilities. The contributions of these local physicians and their combined vision provide the backdrop for the present day, Jersey Shore Hospital.
A new facility was built on the present site in 1951 and eventually, JSH grew into a 90-bed facility. Throughout the Eighties and Nineties, several additions took place, including a new medical surgical pavilion, a new emergency department and an administrative wing. Over time, in a changing healthcare and community environment, the hospital focused more and more resources on outpatient and ambulatory surgery programs, taking advantage of new techniques and new technology that were changing how hospitals were being utilized.
Today, Jersey Shore Hospital provides skilled care in an atmosphere that is both compassionate and professional. The Hospital’s mission is to provide a high-quality “circle of care” through delivery systems that provide a balance of inpatient acute, outpatient and sub acute care, with linkages to other organizations and centers of excellence, when a higher level of care is required.
JSH’s service area covers much of Clinton County and Western Lycoming County- an area with a population of approximately 45,000. JSH is accredited by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Hospitals and is designated as a Critical Access Hospital (CAH) by the State of PA and the Medicare Program. JSH is also one of the founding members of the Susquehanna Valley Rural Health Partnership, which includes two other critical access hospitals and the Williamsport Hospital and Medical Center. Through the network, we have achieved significant milestones in collaboration, all of which greatly benefit patients throughout the region by providing state of the art technology and a stronger continuum of care.